Return to Home Page

Family HistoryOral HistoriesComing EventsGamblin Family Message BoardOther Sites of InterestContact Us

Sussex Country, New Brunswick

Galloway Cows in Sussex, New Brunswick

William Henry Seymour Gamblin (1854-1917) and Ester Ann Kirkpatrick Gamblin (1834-1917)  in 1905

Sussex Country, New Brunswick

William and Joanna Gamblin Original Homestead in 2001

Search for People Where We Live Go to Generations Family Artifacts Maps

Sussex, New Brunswick
Home to the Gamblin Family of Canada in 2007

Sussex is at the heart of Kings County, perhaps the prime example of a New Brunswick pastoral setting.  Please look at Sussex's web site for more information.

Pearsonville and Highfield Area

English Settlement was divided into Pearsonville and Highfield which is located South of Route 2 about 8 km NW of Sussex on Route 2.  This is a current road map in 2007.


Wiveliscombe, England
Birthplace of William Gamblin in 1775

Wiveliscombe, Somersetshire, England, is about 200 kilometers West of London at the intersection of B3227 and B3188 toward the Cornwall coast. 

The historic market town of Wiveliscombe, locally known as "Wivey" is situated on the edge of the Brendon Hills, it is a thriving rural community with many local services and a surprising range of businesses. The town has a wealth of industrial archaeology relating to early iron workings.

Map
Current Map in 2007

Wiveliscombe is the gateway to Exmoor National Park and an ideal centre for walking and cycling. It is located on  the "West Deane Way" a long distance footpath only recently opened. With two successful local breweries and extensive local services, the town is an important centre for the western part of the Deane.  Visit the town's web site at www.wiveliscombe.com

Wiveliscombe, England Wiveliscombe Church

Wiveliscombe, England, in 2000

Parish Church in Wiveliscombe, Somersetshire, England

Plymouth, England
Beginning of William Gamblin's Royal Marine Career and Port of Embarkation to New Brunswick, Canada, in 1819

Plymouth, England, is about 300 kilometers South West of London on the Devon coast.  In the center of the current aerial view of Plymouth, you see the Royal Marine Barracks at Stonehouse.  The pictures of Stonehouse and nearby Devil's Point are from 1897.

Click to Enlarge
Aerial View of Plymouth, England, in 2000
(Click on image to enlarge)

On Plymouth Sound and the Plym and Tamar rivers, Plymouth possesses a fine natural harbor and isPlymouth in 2001 the site of the Royal Naval Dockyard, a major employer in the city. It is also an important fishing port and handles passenger traffic to the Continent. Manufactures include machine tools and chemicals. The city has an aquarium, a zoo, several museums, and the University of Plymouth (1992, formerly a polytechnic college). Originally named Sutton, the town received a charter and its present name in 1439. During the 16th century it became a base for the expeditions of, among others, navigator Sir Francis Drake.  In 1588 the English fleet sailed from Plymouth Harbor to meet the Spanish Armada, and in 1620 the Pilgrims embarked from Plymouth aboard the Mayflower. During World War II (1939-1945) the city was bombarded by the Germans; it has since been extensively rebuilt. City population (1996 estimate) 255,826.  Visit the town's web site at www.plymouthcity.co.uk

Plymouth, England
Current Map in 2007
Stonehouse Royal Marine Barracks Devil's Point
Stonehouse Royal Marine Barracks in 1897 Devil's Point in 1897

Canadian Contact
Evan R. Gamblin
Phone 613.257.5023
 

United States Contact
Ken and Susan Barbi
Phone 410.757.5044

Copyright by The Gamblin Family of New Brunswick
Contact our webmaster
This page last updated on Sunday, December 16, 2012